Thursday, March 6, 2008

My Favorite Quiche

I modified this very basic quiche to use our garden products a couple summers ago. I love its versatility.

1 deep dish (9") pie shell
1-1/2 c. grated cheddar
1-1/2 c. chopped ham (or 1/2 lb. browned sausage)
1/3 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 c. milk
4 eggs
Optional: use any or all: sliced mushrooms, 1/2 c. ea. chopped tomatoes & green peppers, green onions, 1/8 tsp. dried jalapeno pepper.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake pie shell 5-7 minutes. Remove from oven. In layers cover crust with 1/2 the cheese, meat & other ingredients. Repeat layers.
In medium bowl, combine flour, salt & pepper. When I use tomatoes, I add a little basil to the flour mixture. Gradually pour in milk, blending well. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Pour mixture into pie shell. (I have even substituted canned diced tomatoes & substituted the tomato juice for part of the milk.)
Bake 45-55 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes before cutting. Serves 6-8.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home